Monday, July 26, 2010

THE CLEANSING DIET

THE CLEANSING DIET

It has been nearly four months since I began a serious attempt to reduce my weight and improve my overall diet. Although I have been walking for 2-3 hours, five-days-a-week on a regular basis and have been on the low end of beef and general meat-consumption, I had trouble losing weight and I struggled with my overall wellness. I began at 220 lbs and lost weight rapidly, utilizing the Atkins reduced-carb approach. I successfully reduced to 186 lbs using a combination of Atkins and through gradually increasing my walking from 2 to 4 hours, 5 days-per-week, but was dissatisfied with the amount of meat, cheese, eggs and salt that is typically eaten on this diet. Seeking guidance, I have read more than 20 diet and health books since beginning this regimen, and most of them recommend a more-or-less vegetarian approach.

Natural Hygiene is explained in one of these books as another way to cleanse and reduce weight, so I began this cleansing diet after remaining on Atkins for 40 days. Basically, the Natural Hygiene diet is a method in which nothing but fruit is eaten upon arising and after that, eaten freely until lunchtime. Then after an hour or so, in the afternoon, you discontinue eating fruit and begin eating fresh salads, garnished with unprocessed, unroasted, unsalted, fresh seeds and nuts and olive oil, and you continue eating these small fresh salads freely until 8pm. Other vegetables are also permitted, but they should be eaten as fresh as possible, including fresh sprouts and other uncooked varieties, being careful to avoid adding salt and harmful commercial supplements. Because I began on the Atkins Diet, I had already eliminated bread from my diet, but I have now slowly begun to add in unprocessed whole wheat and sesame flatbread as well. I have found that I am not nearly as thirsty as I was on the Atkins diet, and that I have more energy.

Natural Hygiene is a vegetarian diet which had its origins in Europe several centuries ago and began to be spoken of and written about in this country beginning in about 1830. This diet plan has many adherents in this country, including physicians, health practitioners and educators. I am particularly interested in the cleansing aspect of this diet, as well as the improved energy which it provides. By eating fresh, living, vegetarian foods, which have about 70% water content, your body is able to cleanse itself beginning with the digestive tract and proceeding through your system at the cellular level and continuing to cleanse the liver, kidneys, intestines and colon. The more closely you adhere to this diet program and avoid meat, eggs, dairy and salt, the more quickly you will see beneficial results. After beginning this diet, I continued to lose about 3 lbs per week for 3 weeks to 177 lbs, and then I slowly regained to 186 lbs, where my weight has stabilized for the past 3 weeks. I plan to write more about this program later, when I have more information to share with you, but so far I am pleased with what the Natural Hygiene diet has done for me. If you are feeling run-down, have elimination problems, are seeking to lose weight, or are otherwise confronting other wellness issues, I recommend that you try the Natural Hygiene dietary approach.

Mark Overt Skilbred

No comments:

Post a Comment